Monday, December 16, 2013

DIY: Christmas Pocket Tee


I am so excited to share today's DIY project! For some reason people love t-shirts with pockets. I'm not exactly sure why a pocket makes a t-shirt 10x better, but it does, and I love it. So, if you have a little bit of time and a few products, this is a really easy, inexpensive gift to make for Christmas! I'm really happy with how these turned out. Here's the step by step process of how I made these.



Step 1: Gather your supplies. You will need: blank t-shirts, fabric, scissors, pins, rulers, and preferably a sewing machine.


Step 2: Cut out squares of fabric as well as a template for your pocket. You can print one or trace it for yourself. This will help to fold your pocket.



Step 3: Wait for your dog to move out of the way. Really, she insists on sitting right where I need to be.







Step 4: Use the template to help fold the fabric into the form of a pocket square. Then, pin the fabric into place.


Step 5: Sew along the upper part of the pocket.


Step 6: Pin your pocket square onto the t-shirt (as seen above) to prepare it for the sewing machine. It also really helps to have a pocket t-shirt or button down shirt next to you so you can position the square onto the t-shirt in the right place. Do not pin the top of the pocket!
























Step 7: Sew the square onto the shirt. It would be possible to sew this by hand, but using a machine is a bit more practical. My mom graciously helped me during this part, because although I can sew, it would've taken me ages. (Thanks, mom!)



Voila! Now all you have to do is wrap these up & you have the perfect Christmas present! It takes a bit of extra time, but I think the result is worth it. My friends really liked this present, & now my mom even wants one for herself!

(WHAT? 10!)

2 comments:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your sweet comments. I read every one and try to respond to them all!